What is Document Management?
December 30th, 2021 by admin
If there's one thing all businesses have in common, it's documents. Every day, documents are created, shared, and stored by companies around the world. However, the more documents your organization has, the more difficult it becomes to keep those documents organized.
What Is Document Management?
Imagine trying to find a specific PDF in a folder filled with similar PDFs. Like finding a needle in a haystack, it would take a long time to find what you're looking for. As the saying goes, time is money, and that's especially the case for businesses. The time you waste searching through documents could be used for more constructive purposes, like finding ways to grow your company.
If you're looking for a more efficient way to handle your documents, you need document management services. This is the process of storing, tracking, managing, and retrieving electronic documents such as PDFs, word processing files, and digital images of paper-based documents. In addition to streamlining search and retrieval, document management can provide document security, access control, and centralized storage.
Cloud Document Management
A document management system is a great way for a business to intelligently handle its documents. While document management can be done locally, most businesses find it more beneficial to use a cloud solution. Cloud content management systems allow you to use the internet for your file organization, editing, and storage needs.
With a cloud-based solution like this, your employees can access document management tools from wherever they are and on any device. Another advantage these systems provide is notifications. If an employee needs to revise, approve, or send a record, the automated document software sends a task to that person.
What Features Should an Effective Document Management System Have?
As mentioned earlier, a document management system is used for a variety of purposes, like capturing and storing. An effective document management system should include features like:
- Search: This tool helps users quickly find documents and information based on identifiers, metadata, and how closely content is related to your search criteria.
- Metadata: When a document is stored, it's given tags that identify what it contains. If a document is poorly named, it can still be found easily with differing search criteria.
- Version Control: The version control feature makes it easy to track and find the latest version of a document while also showing what's been changed and by who.
- Security: Effective management systems offer a plethora of security features like permission control, file encryption, and multi-factor authentication.
- Scalability: With cloud-based document management software, your organization can look beyond your current needs and adjust as it grows.
What Are the Benefits of Document Management?
A document management system is designed to eliminate common challenges like server use, sensitive data management, or a lack of analytics. As a result, your business can enjoy benefits like:
- Increased Productivity: The less time spent on repetitive tasks, the more time you have to work on projects that drive value.
- Better Security: The security features included in a document management system reduce the risk of data loss and data leaks.
- Improved Collaboration: Multiple people can work on a file at the same time as the management system monitors changes and tracks the document history.
- Easy Compliance: If information isn't handled securely, you could be forced to pay fines or be subject to criminal liability. A management system can help your business meet regulatory standards.
Start Organizing Your Documents
From accounting document automation to document capture, Americom has the content management solutions your business needs. We've partnered with Square9 to offer our clients an advanced management system that allows you to create and store documents in the cloud. This service works seamlessly with Microsoft software to optimize your operations.
At Americom, we're dedicated to delivering the high-quality services our clients need. That's why we offer IT solutions and print services to cover the most important aspects of your business. Contact us today to learn more about how you can benefit from our services.
Posted in: Document Management